There are many at home jobs that can provide you with the opportunity to make a decent amount of money. However; being an article freelancer can be one of the most profitable and rewarding jobs that can be done at home. So much so that many freelance article writers rely on this profession and work full-time.
What is freelancing?
Freelancing means that you’re self-employed and able to take projects and work for more than one client without not having to commit necessarily to an employer for a long period of time. When you have a typical 9-5 job, you normally receive a set salary and are restricted to work at one company and are bound to give your time and services to one company. Unless of course you have more than one job which is quite common these days.
Whereas, in freelancing you don’t get a salary. Instead, you get paid on a project by project basis. You are free to take up projects from different companies/websites or individuals without being restricted to a single organisation or individual. Freelancing is a profession where you decide how much work you would like to take up and what hours you would want to work. Some companies or individual may ask you to work for a specific amount of hours per day; to which you are free to agree or disagree.
What is the scope in article freelancing?
Now that we have a better understanding of what freelancing means, now let’s discuss ways on how to become successful as an article writer. Most full-time article freelancers have years of experience and an established portfolio that allow them to earn good wages per project. But don’t let this discourage you because you need to start from somewhere. Just by getting your first article writing project can start pave the way to building up your portfolio, provided of course that you create quality work.
Skills needed to become an article freelance writer
There are a few skills needed to become a good article writer. If you already have these skills or are willing to develop these skills, you should be able to become a freelance article writer with ease. The qualities needed to are as follows:
- Good knowledge of grammar of the language you wish to provide work in. The need for English writers is high in demand in the freelance market so you may want to consider this language, especially if it’s your first language.
- Good vocabulary
- Ability to write error-free, well-constructed articles
- Good researching abilities
- Good networking abilities to work on a long-term basis with existing clients.
What do you need to do as an article freelancer?
As an article freelance writer, you need to work on a project basis with different companies. Companies, websites or individuals will provide you with either keywords or topics on which you need to submit the desired articles within the required timeline specified by them. This work could require hours of researching as research work helps you prepare quality content and will help you develop a well-structured and informative article.
Types of article freelancers
There are many types of article freelancers. They are listed below:
- Academic writer: These writers are involved in developing study materials and academic based content. There are various writing styles and formats that academic writers need to know, and these academic styles are usually chosen by the employer.
- Technical writer: A technical writer is the one who writes on topics that are based on technical topics. Such articles are normally related to the IT industry. Extensive research is often required for these types of articles.
- SEO article writer: An SEO writer or Search Engine Optimised article writer is the one who helps websites develop content that makes them rank high on search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing, MSN, Such articles mainly include the most searched keywords.
How to Get Started as an Article Freelancer
Becoming an article freelance writer is not that hard to accomplish, that is, of course if you have all the skills required to become a freelance writer. And those skills are the ability to land the job (you have to often look at job listings and put your bid in) then deliver what the employer expects. It should be said here that your writing should be decent. You don’t have to be an amazing writer, but you do need to be able to write about the topics your employer gives you in CORRECT English. You’ll likely have to do research on the topic.
How to Write Freelance Articles is really another topic on it’s own. But you do need to have the following abilities:
- the ability to research the topic properly and rework that into your own articles
- the ability to write competent English (correct grammar, correct structure, correct spelling, etc)
- the ability to work within a deadline and deliver your content by a certain date, if given
There are some sites that allow you to create and print affordable business cards like Moo and VistaPrint. You can also search the web for companies that employ freelance article writers and find their contact information and send in your resume.
Places to Find Freelance Work
Now the big question that arises is where can I get an online article writing job? This is not a big issue if you are aware of the sources available online. There are a number of websites that claim to help freelancers get paid jobs, but not all of them are legit. Most of them claim to find you high paying jobs but ask for a large fee to sign up, and they turn out to be scams. However; after doing some research you may find that the websites listed below are the most popular among article freelancers. On these sites, once you establish good relationships with employers, most often they will rehire you.
How to Get Started
Step 1: Go to a Freelance Site
Visit one of the freelancing sites above.
Step 2: Look at the jobs listed and submit your bid (to many different jobs)
Typically, you go to one of the sites listed, you look at the freelance writing jobs, read the descriptions, look at the pay offered. If it’s a topic you feel you can write about and you think you can deliver the project, then you bid on it (i.e. you put in the amount you are willing to be paid for that set of work). Quite often, you need to submit a proposal as well which just could be a paragraph stating WHY you are qualified to get the job.
Many of these sites track the freelancer’s history, the jobs bid on and won, and their ratings and reviews for the work done so far (after you complete a job your employers can leave a review on your work). When you first start out, you won’t have any ratings or feedback. However, this does NOT mean you can’t start. You may just have to bid for more jobs or put lower bid amounts in than if you have a lot of experience and existing ratings.
Step 3: Start Writing
Once you land a job (and you should, given enough bids on your part, even if you don’t have any feedback), start writing on the topic. Your employer will often either give you a list of keywords to write articles about or a list of article titles. They may even give you outlines for each article. Your job then is to write exactly what the employer wants, in the format they desire. A happy employer means more work and good ratings which can lead to more jobs in the future.
A few points to remember:
- No duplicate content (your writing should be unique. If you copy and past someone else’s content into the article, you will likely be found out and terminated. It’s not worth it)
- Proper research (don’t just site down and write off the top of your head. You need to look at other (quality) articles on the web about the topic, reorganize and regurgitate this, and use this information to make your own article on the topic. As long as the article is unique and your content is quality, you should be ok.
- Quality Writing (make sure you do good work. If your grammar and spelling is no good, you will lose the job)
How You Get Paid
The next thing you may be asking yourself is, how do I get paid for my work? The answer is that there are many methods of payment but here is a list of the most popular ways in the freelance market.
- Wire Transfer: This is a hassle free method, and the employer can directly transfer the amount owed to you in your bank account. This process is hassle free but there is usually a higher fee involved for the transfer.
- PayPal: This is probably the most popular source of making payments worldwide. Payments are made through email IDs, making it one of the most secure methods of payment. All you need to do is sign up on PayPal. Add your account details to the email ID you have signed up with and you’re done! Now when you want to get paid, all you need to do is give the job provider your email ID and your payment will be sent to you. All you need to do then is sign into your Paypal account and transfer your money to your bank account.
- Moneybookers: This is a website very similar to PayPal and payments are made in a similar manner. The only difference is the fee charged by PayPal and Moneybookers.
Other ways to become an article freelancer and make money
Blogging: Blogging: Writing blogs and guest blogging can be fun and are often high-in-demand just like articles. Freelance writing blogs can potentially allow you to double your earnings (if you have an existing blog, of course). Once you earn a good name for yourself and your blog becomes popular, companies will more than likely hire you. Providing that your writing skills and creativity impress them. Hence, blogging is a great way to get work as an article freelancer.
Networking: You can drop your resume or your CV to the companies who require freelancers. Sending your resume with an impressive cover letter could land you some high paying projects. Apart from registering yourself on the websites mentioned above, networking plays a very important role when it comes to article freelancing.
Word of mouth: We all know that word of mouth is a great medium to spread the news. It’s also is a great way to let as many people as possible know that you are a freelance writer and looking for work. So get your business card printed and tell as many people as humanly possible about your freelancing capabilities.
Building a website: Building a website goes a long way in marketing by projecting yourself and letting the world know who you are and what services you are offering. Your website should speak for you and should market you in a way that employers shall find interesting. So build your website now and start marketing yourself on the World Wide Web.
Content Farm Companies: there are some freelancing companies like TexBroker.com that mass hire writers. You must apply and get approval to join their team and they will handle the actual article topics and job acquisition. You will just be given the articles to write. The pay is often less, though the process of looking at, bidding for, and winning jobs will be taken out of your hands — you are just given the work directly.